PyPy Progress (and Psyco)

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 14:51:49 EDT 2009

On Mar 15, 3:46 pm, Gerhard Häring <g... at ghaering.de> wrote:
> andrew cooke wrote:
> > This looks very promising -
> >http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2009_03_14.shtml#e1063
>
> > I am really looking forwards to PyPy having a final release.  I hope it
> > happens.
>
> Me too. I doubt it, though. From an outside view, the project seems to
> lack focus. To me, it looks like a research platform, and producing a
> successor to CPython seems to be just one out of a dozen projects.
>
> -- Gerhard

Well, I know the guys involved and they are focused on making PyPy a
practical (and importantly a faster) alternative to CPython. It has
just taken a long time - but is finally showing real progress.

They did get distracted along the way, but one of things that happened
last year was a culling of a lot of the side projects that made it
harder to make progress on the core goals.

At the moment PyPy is the best hope for a native implementation of
Python with an effective JIT.

Michael Foord
--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/