[ActivePython] Why does Python not return first line?

Mon Mar 16 19:39:47 CET 2009

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> 	Teletypes, OTOH, really did use one character to advance the platen
> by a line, and a second to move the print-head to the left. (and may
> have needed "rub-out" characters to act as timing delays while the
> print-head moved)
I remember writing a printer driver for a terminal which kept the print
head horizontal position "soft".  The trick to printing fast was to
start a line feed, and use horizontal positioning (returns, backspace,
space, tab) as part of the time delay required before printing the first
actual printing character.  Once you had to print a printing character,
we used ASCII NULs (though I have seen rub-out used as well) to finish
the time delay needed.  Since we needed eight (or was it twelve) chars
of delay, this driver substantially improved the print speed for our

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org