Integer arithmetic in hardware descriptions

JanC usenet at janc.invalid
Mon Mar 16 20:31:53 EDT 2009

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:

> JanC:
>> In most "modern" Pascal dialects the overflow checks can be (locally)
>> enabled or disabled with compiler directives in the source code,
>
> I think that was possible in somewhat older versions of Pascal-like
> languages too (like old Delphi versions, and maybe TurboPascals too).

Yeah, I think Turbo Pascal supported this since v3 or v4 at least.
(By "modern" I meant as opposed to the original Pascal & the other "classic"
Pascals that were available before Turbo Pascal came around.)

>>so the "speed issue" is not a real issue in practice...<
>
> How can I help Walter (the designer and writer of the D language)
> understand this? Do you have articles or other ways that support this
> point of view?

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming" ?  ;-)
<http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization>

(And D became way too complicated over the years, so I'm not really
interested in it much anymore.)

--
JanC