Python + PostgreSQL

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Tue Mar 17 23:23:37 EDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Lobo wrote:

> Many thanks to all for your valuable input.
>
> I've done some research and I believe I will use (at least for now, to
> make it simple) psycopg2 module to connect Python to PostgreSQL.
>
> I am wondering whether I can jump directly to Python 3.x (instead of
> using Python 2.6), depending of course on psycopg2 compatibility?.

You can, but as you observed you'll be running a patched version of
psycopg2. If this is the only extension module library you think
you'll need in your project, then running Python 3.x is fine.
Otherwise you might run into surprises when you find that there's a
lot fewer extensions available for 3.x than for 2.x. That's changing,
but it seems to be the state of the Python world today.

Case in point -- you said your project is a Web project, yes? Then
whatever Web framework you use will need to have been ported to 3.x.
At this point, I don't know if any of the major ones have been.

I know that as a new user you'd like to start using the latest &
greatest version of Python so that you don't put your project in a
position where you know you'll have to upgrade at some point in the
future, but that's probably your best course of action at the moment.

Good luck
Philip