[python-list] Re: Strange crash issue on Windows w/ PyGTK, Cairo...

CJ Kucera pez at apocalyptech.com
Wed Mar 18 09:33:42 EDT 2009

bieffe62 at gmail.com wrote:
> It looks like some of the C extension you are using is causing a
> segfault or similar in python
> interpreter (or it could be a bug in the interpreter itself, but it is
> a lot less likely).

Okay...  I assume by "C extension" you'd include the PyGTK stuff, right?
(ie: pycairo, pygobject, and pygtk)  Those are the only extras I've got
installed, otherwise it's just a base Python install.

Would a bad extension really cause this kind of behavior though?
Specifically the working-the-first-time and crash-subsqeuent-times?  Do
C extensions contribute to the bytecode generated while compiling?

> I would suggest to fill the startup portion of your code with trace
> statements to try to understand which module function is the
> troublesome one, then go looking in the big tracking system of the
> module, try the newest version and ask on the dedicated mailing list
> if any.

Are you talking about just throwing in various print statements, to find
out where exactly it's dying?  Or I see that there is an actual "trace"
module in Python...  I did do the former awhile ago and didn't find
anything conclusive really.  It was when approaching it from that angle
that I stumbled across the case that if I simply renamed one of my
functions, everything started working again.  I'll do this a bit more
once I've gotten the program down to a more manageable level.

> Making a small script that cabn reproduce the bug is also a very good
> idea, and will help speed-up the problem solution.

Right, that's the goal.  Right now it's still pretty unwieldy, still.
I'll keep on it.

Thanks for the response!

-CJ

--
WOW: Flemmy            |   "Happiness isn't good enough for me!  I
pez at apocalyptech.com   |              demand euphoria!"