Run on Startup

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 14:13:32 EDT 2009

On Mar 18, 1:09 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:16:53 -0200, MRAB <goo... at mrabarnett.plus.com>
> escribió:
>
> > Ian Mallett wrote:
> >>  I'd like to make a program that automatically runs on startup (right
> >> after login).  How should I do that?
>
> > Put it in the folder:
>
> > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> Please don't do that, if you care about your users at all, and any of them
> might use a non-English version of Windows. Programs that put anything in
> the above location (or install themselves into C:\Program Files, or things
> like that) are really annoying, and the author is plain stupid.
>
> Any decent installer is able to register a program so it runs on startup
> (InnoSetup, by example). Anyway, if you want to it it yourself, see:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776426(VS.85).aspx
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

How is putting your program in "C:\Program Files" stupid? Almost every
program I've ever installed on Windows defaults to that location.
Putting a link in the Startup folder is kind of silly, I will grant
you that. Of course, putting the shortcut there makes it easier for
non-techie people to remove it. Otherwise you'll have to hack the
registry to stop the startup or run msconfig and stop auto-start
there.

Mike