python equivalent of java technologies

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at
Wed Mar 18 19:25:50 CET 2009

On Mar 18, 1:14 pm, markolopa <marko.lopa... at> wrote:
> Hello,
> When comparing python and java with a colleague who is fan of java,
> she challenged me to find in python the equivalent to the following
> technologies. Could you please help telling if we have something
> equivalent in python or not and how they compare to the java
> solutions?
> - persistance framework  (~hibernate)
> - transational monitor (distributed transaction), XA compliance
> (message system, DB) (

See SqlAlchemy (or any DB_API module like or pymssql),
SqlObject, Dabo for DB stuff. See PubSub for one type of messaging:

> - web openess sur le web (web service)

Python supports lots of web services. Here are a couple of links:

It also has lots of web frameworks, such as Django, TurboGears,
Pylons, Web2Py, Plone/Zope

> - RIA and web deployable graphic library
> - scheduling (quartz)

Maybe this:

> - secutity (PKI, single sign-on...)

I assume this is supposed to be "security". TurboGears can probably do

If you do some Googling, it looks like Django does too...

> - reporting (Jasper)

> Thanks a lot!
> Marko

Alternatively, you could also use Jython, which can just use the Java