Style formating of multiline query, advise

Marco Mariani marco at sferacarta.com
Thu Mar 19 05:26:32 EDT 2009

someone wrote:

>> Also, for SQL, (A) why are you using nested joins?, and
>
> inner select produce smaller set which is then joined with other
> table, kind a optimization

Did you time it?
I've done some "kind of a optimization" that slowed queries by tenfold,
because postgres didn't need my advice, and knew better. RDBMS
performance is non-intuitive, really. If you're using mysql, YMMV,
because its optimizer is not as good.

> Yes, my original question was about formatting. It's not original
> query (only a part).

Try this:

http://www.dpriver.com/pp/sqlformat.htm

My 2c: I use textwrap.dedent to strip leading spaces from every line.