How complex is complex?

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 06:23:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Kottiyath <n.kottiyath at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that my question was foolish, even for a newbie.
> I will not ask any more such questions in the future.
> --

I didn't think it was a foolish question, just one with a very subjective
(and perhaps unknowable) answer. I have a feeling that Daniel wasn't
intending to come off as snarky, but who knows.

What someone considers 'readable' or 'complex' is going to vary from
individual to individual. If you look at it (or if a peer on roughly the
same skill level as you looks at it) and has to squint really hard to figure
out what it's doing, it's probably not readable enough - which may or may
not be linked to the complexity of the code itself (Depending on how what
you mean by complexity - number of instructions? number of characters?
special charachters? number of tokens? levels of indirection? etc).