Unicode problem in ucs4

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Mar 20 08:47:29 EDT 2009

On 2009-03-20 12:13, abhi wrote:
> On Mar 20, 11:03 am, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> Any idea on why this is happening?
>> Can you provide a complete example? Your code looks correct, and should
>> just work.
>>
>> How do you know the result contains only 't' (i.e. how do you know it
>> does not contain 'e', 's', 't')?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin
>
> Hi Martin,
>  Here is the code:
> unicodeTest.c
>
> #include<Python.h>
>
> static PyObject *unicode_helper(PyObject *self,PyObject *args){
> 	PyObject *sampleObj = NULL;
>       	Py_UNICODE *sample = NULL;
>
>       if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O", &sampleObj)){
>                 return NULL;
>       }
>
> 	 // Explicitly convert it to unicode and get Py_UNICODE value
>       sampleObj = PyUnicode_FromObject(sampleObj);
>       sample = PyUnicode_AS_UNICODE(sampleObj);
>       wprintf(L"database value after unicode conversion is : %s\n",
> sample);

You have to use PyUnicode_AsWideChar() to convert a Python
Unicode object to a wchar_t representation.

Please don't make any assumptions on what Py_UNICODE maps
to and always use the the Unicode API for this. It is designed
to provide a portable interface and will not do more conversion
work than necessary.