Organize large DNA txt files

Paul McGuire ptmcg at
Fri Mar 20 18:27:03 CET 2009

On Mar 20, 11:59 am, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchin... at>
> Have you considered using a lightweight database solution? Sqlite is a
> really simple, zero configuration, server-less db and a python binding
> for it comes with python itself. I'd give it a try, it will simplify
> tasks like these a great deal.

I second Daniel's recommendation of using Sqlite.  Just as easily as
you create output files 1+ and 1-, you can work with a sqlite databsae
file.  If you are worried that your database file may not be as easy
to read as using Notepad on 1+ and 1-, you can download the freeware
SQLiteDatabase Browser ( - think
of it as the Notepad for Sqlite database files.

-- Paul