meta question - how to read comp.lang.python w/o usenet feed/google interface?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 20 17:08:52 EDT 2009

Mark Tolonen wrote:

> "Esmail" <ebonak at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:03081704-17b5-4c7d-82db-8efb7ebce317 at q11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been reading/posting to usenet since the 80s with a variety of
>> tools (vn, and most recently Thunderbird) but since my ISP
>> (TimeWarner) no longer provides usenet feeds I'm stuck.
>>
>> I am not crazy about the web interface via google groups, is
>> there another way to read/post this in a nice threaded way,
>> possibly with some sort of preview?   I'm  also worried about
>> missing posts in specific threads (such as the ones I start :-)
>>
>> If you are reading/posting to comp.lang.python with something
>> other than the regular web interface provided by google and
>> you are happy with it, would you share it?
>
> I use the news.gmane.org usenet feeds.

Ditto, with T-bird. Just add a newsgroup account with news.gmane.org or
snews.gmane.org (for ssl) as the server and set the rest as you please.

gmane.comp.python.general is a mirror of python-list, from python.org,
with its spam filtering that exclude most of the crap from gmail and
g-groups.  gmane mirrors 1000s of other technical mailing lists,
including about 200 under g.c.python.  I think its downtime is under 1%
and never terribly long that I have noticed in several years.

Terry Jan Reedy