Preparing teaching materials

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 23:04:13 EDT 2009

On Mar 20, 8:58 am, grkunt... at gmail.com wrote:
> I am considering teaching a beginning programming course using Python.
> I would like to prepare my class handouts in such a way that I can
> import the Python code from real ".py" files directly into the
> documents. This way I can run real unit tests on the code to confirm
> that they work as expected.
>
> I am considering using LaTeX to write the handouts and then converting
> them to PDF files. I will probably use a Makefile to convert the LaTeX
> with embedded Python code into the PDF files using pdflatex.
>
> I will probably organize my directory structure into sub-directories
> py-src, py-test, doc-src, and doc-dist.
>
> I will be starting out using Windows Vista/cygwin and hopefully switch
> to a Macbook this summer.
>
> Any thoughts?

If I may suggest a very different alternative than the ones already
suggested: use Crunchy.  (http://code.google.com/p/crunchy)

You can have you handouts (html or reStructuredText documents) live on
the web with all your code samples executable from within Firefox.

If you don't want to install Crunchy, but want to see it in action,
you can check these older videos:
http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=1430000;fromSeriesID=143
http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=1430020;fromSeriesID=143

André