script files with python (instead of tcsh/bash)?

Esmail ebonak at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 21 09:54:51 EDT 2009

Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.2374.1237641982.11746.python-list at python.org>,
> Esmail  <ebonak at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am wondering if anyone is using python to write script files?
>
> These days, I always convert any even slightly complicated script to
> Python.

well .. that sounds encouraging ...

>> I've looked around the web w/o much luck for some examples but come
>> short. Any comments/suggestions?
>
> Not sure what you're looking for here -- many things you'd run an
> external program for in scripting can be accomplished with Python library
> calls, and for the rest, you can use the subprocess module (or os.system
> if you have no acces to Python 2.4 or higher).

I have access to 2.5 or more recent. I guess I was looking for some
example scripts in Python and perhaps the equivalent in bash/tsch to
show some of the equivalences. I am being impatient, I guess I need to
dig into the language/library documentation a bit more on my own.

Esmail