script files with python (instead of tcsh/bash)?

Aahz aahz at
Sat Mar 21 14:47:27 CET 2009

In article <mailman.2374.1237641982.11746.python-list at>,
Esmail  <ebonak at> wrote:
>I am wondering if anyone is using python to write script files?

These days, I always convert any even slightly complicated script to

>I've looked around the web w/o much luck for some examples but come
>short. Any comments/suggestions?

Not sure what you're looking for here -- many things you'd run an
external program for in scripting can be accomplished with Python library
calls, and for the rest, you can use the subprocess module (or os.system
if you have no acces to Python 2.4 or higher).
Aahz (aahz at           <*>

"Programming language design is not a rational science. Most reasoning
about it is at best rationalization of gut feelings, and at worst plain
wrong."  --GvR, python-ideas, 2009-3-1