Is python worth learning as a second language?

alex goretoy aleksandr.goretoy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 20:28:28 EDT 2009

> > I've only read he subject and a few lines from other responses.
> >
> > yes, it is worth learning. I came from PHP to Python. It's very powerful
> and
> > makes application development easier for me than in PHP and/or C#, but
> bash,
> > well that depends on the type of bash. It has a lot of diffent ways you
> can
> > use it too, so that adds to how powerful it is.
>
> IMHO, Bash is great for quick and dirty hacks, as a kind of simplified
> Perl. But when bash script grows too big, I would consider rewriting it in
> Python rather than Perl. But this is just my personal choice.
>
> Since we are already a little offtopic :-), did you see any speed
> difference between PHP and Python? I understand, that you are doing web
> devel in those two?

yes, I am doing web developemnt. At the moment I'm playing around with
GAE(google app engine), but later on I most likely will setup a django site
for my combined projects set, web frontend

You are right, bash is very good for simple quick and dirty hacks, but when
the script growns it's much better to just use python

I really can't say too much about speed increase or decrease, it really
depends on the site and how its built, what libs are used and how they are
loaded, same thing in PHP, It would be difficult for me to same anything on
speed because of that. I built a templated modulated cms in CodeIgniter(PHP
MVC), google it, It is a base for a templated system. using smarty and ci
templating syntax, although the smarty side of things makes it slower I
think. Also it is modulated, which breaks up your code into modules that you
can load on the page into a div with ajax, preferrably jquery but you can
use any framework for that too

I can go on forever

I maybe will recreate something like that in python, is a good idea, thx

GAE is pretty limiting, but I will try to hack it to do things for me
anyway.
maybe uploading my own libs and import those or upload python into the
project, not sure yet, thats why I may go with django

-Alex Goretoy
http://www.goretoy.com

Samuel Beckett  - "Birth was the death of him."