splitting a large dictionary into smaller ones

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Mon Mar 23 07:22:03 EDT 2009

As others have said, a database is probably the right answer.  There,
the data is kept on disk, and only a few records at a time are read for
each access, with modification transactions usually being synchronous.

However, there are use cases where your approach makes more sense.  And
it shouldn't be too hard to do what you describe.  So it's probably
worth implementing.

Use case:  suppose most accesses are to a 'local' set of keys, in some
sense.  For example, if the keys were serial numbers, with the most
recently created serial numbers likely to be accessed much more often
than those a few years old.  Then if you split the serial numbers up in
the most obvious way (using the high digits of the number, for example
to index which external file the data is in), you'd find nearly all
accesses would be to the file with the highest index.

So you create a wrapper class with an init and two member methods, read
and write, plus a flush() method.  read takes a key, and returns a
value, while write takes both key and value, and saves it away.  The
init method creates a list of dictionaries (initially of length zero)
and saves some information about the location and naming of the actual
pickle files (or whatever you're using).

When a read or write method is called, you do the divide (or whatever
filter you use) to find an index into the list of dictionaries.  If this
index is beyond the end of the list, extend the list with None till it's
big enough.  Now, if the particular entry in the list is None, you need
to read in the corresponding pickle file, and add the created dictionary
object into this index of the list.

At this point, you read or write your dictionary as usual.  The only
other tricky thing is to save a 'dirty bit' for each loaded dictionary.
When your wrapper's flush() is called, you pickle each of the dirty
dictionaries back to the file system.

Lots of possible variants.  For example, you could use a dictionary of
dictionary objects instead of a list of dictionaries.  That would be
useful if the list will be large, and sparse.

The main thing I don't know here is how to overload the [] operator, if
you need that particular syntax for the read and write methods.