pickle.load() extremely slow performance

Jim Garrison jhg at acm.org
Mon Mar 23 17:21:05 EDT 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>>> On 3.1a1 the unpickle step takes 2.4 seconds, an 1875% improvement.
>> Surely you mean a 94.7% improvement?
>>
> Well, since it's now running almost twenty times faster, the speed has
> increased by 1875%. Not sure what the mathematics of improvement are ...
>
> regards
>  Steve
The arithmetic depends on whether you're looking at time or
velocity, which are inverses of each other.

If you double your velocity (100% increase) the time required goes
down by 50%.  A 1000% increase in velocity results in a 90% decrease
in time... etc.  I guess I equate "performance" to velocity.