Syntax error when importing a file which starts with a number

simon.woolf at gmail.com simon.woolf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:12:09 EDT 2009

Many thanks to all for explanations.  I'm going to take everyone's
advice and ignore the naming scheme (especially as, on rereading, the
naming scheme is apparently only mandatory if you're using C or Maple,
for some reason).

Thanks again.

Simon

(For those interested:

> Do you mean that some authority other than yourself is seriously
> insisting that the names of source files *must* start with one or more
> digits? What is the rationale for such a scheme?

The relevent section from the manual is

> What to submit if you used C or Maple on the PWF
> The first few characters of each file name should give the project number,
> with the dot replaced by a minus sign or underscore ( _ ). For example, all
> the programs written for project 1.2 should have file names beginning with
> 1-2 or 1_2; for instance 1-2prog.c or 1_2equip.c...

As "project" and "submit" suggest, this is for education rather than
work, so a certain amount of educational bureaucracy is not
unsurprising.  Also, it does then go on to state that if you're unable
to use that convention then you can just include a readme file that
explains what you've done.)