Translating unicode data

CaptainMcCrank captainmccrank at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:02:44 EDT 2009

Hi list,

I'm struggling with a problem analyzing large amounts of unicode data
in an http wireshark capture.
I've solved the problem with the interpreter, but I'm not sure how to
do this in an automated fashion.

I'd like to grab a line from a text file & translate the unicode
sections of it to ascii.  So, for example
I'd like to take
"\u003cb\u003eMar 17\u003c/b\u003e"

and turn it into

"<b>Mar 17</b>"

I can handle this from the interpreter as follows:

>>> import unicodedata
>>> mystring = u"\u003cb\u003eMar 17\u003c/b\u003e"
>>> print mystring
<b>Mar 17</b>

But I don't know what I need to do to automate this!  The data that is
in the quotes from line 2 will have to come from a variable.  I am
unable to figure out how to do this using a variable rather than a
literal string.

Please help!