file.read() doesn't read the whole file

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Mar 23 22:15:02 EDT 2009

En Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:37:14 -0300, R. David Murray
<rdmurray at bitdance.com> escribió:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > import os
>> > def read(length, offset):
>> > 	os.chdir('/mnt/gfs_local/')
>> > 	snap = open('mango.txt_snaps/snap1/0','r')
>> > 	snap.seek(offset)
>> > 	data = snap.read(length)
>> > 	print data
>> >
>> > read(4096,0)
>> >
>> > This code shows what actually happens inside the code I've written.
>> > This prints the 4096 bytes from the file '0' which is only 654 bytes.
>> > When we run the code we get the whole file. That's right. I also get
>> > it. But when this read() function becomes the file class read()
>> > function in fuse, the data printed is not the whole but only a few
>> > lines from the beginning.
>>
>> This is confusing. I presume you to mean that when you make this
>> function a method of some class it stops operating correctly?
>>
>> But I am not sure.
>>
>> I am still struggling to understand your problem. Sorry,it's just a
>> language thing. If we take our time we will understand each other in the
>> end.
>
> You may be asking this question for pedagogical reasons, Steve, but
> in case not...the OP is apparently doing a 'less xxxx' where xxxx is
> the name of a file in a fuse filesystem (that is, a mounted filesystem
> whose back end is some application code written by the OP).
[...]
> There are several steps between that 'snap.read' and less displaying on
> the terminal whatever bytes it got back from its read call in whatever
> way it is less chooses to display them....

And that's why everyone is asking for a *real* log. Assumptions like "foo
must be 0 here" aren't enough. One needs *evidence*: a log file showing
the value of "foo" right when it is used. Then, one can begin to infer
what happens -- first step would be to determine *which* layer is (or is
not) responsible for the misbehavior.

In this case, I'd like to see file.tell(), the requested size and the
returned data length, *right*at*the*read()*call*.

--
Gabriel Genellina