Problem Python 2.6.1 vs 2.6 & pyWin32

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Mar 25 08:41:38 EDT 2009

On 25/03/2009 10:32 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
> On 25/03/2009 11:06 AM, John Machin wrote:
>> It would appear that the safest cover-most-bases option for a
>> developer/packager
>> of pure-Python packages (especially one intended to be runnable on older
>> versions of Python, some as far back as 2.1) is to use Python 2.5 to
>> make the
>> bdist_wininst (the exe is linked against msvcr71.dll which is widely
>> available
>> and doesn't have SxS problems).
>
> Hi John,
>
>   Note that fairly recently (IIRC, 2.6.2/3.1), the bdist_wininst stub
> installers moved to linking the CRT statically, so should avoid this
> problem.

Hi Mark,

>  Indeed, if you use the correct magic, you should be able to
> use this version of distutils to build binaries for much earlier
> versions of Python and to allow the installer itself for that version to
> avoid depending on any msvcrt...

This all sounds good. I presume that "this version of distutils" means
the 2.6.2/3.1 version.

In the meantime, until 2.6.2 final is released, is my suggestion of
using Python 2.5 to build installers reasonable? Is there a better
approach?

BTW, the user with the problem has not only confirmed that he did indeed
  receive the misspelled German version of the error message :-) but
also has successfully installed the package using a 2.5-built installer
that I provided. It's curious that out of over 250 downloads of the
2.6-built installer, there's been only 1 report of the installer not
working. Comments?

Cheers,
John