imported module scitools not recognized

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Mar 26 16:39:54 EDT 2009

Robert Kern wrote:
> On 2009-03-26 10:42, mgdevos wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have installed the scitools module but modules included in scitools,
>> for example numpyutils, are not recognized.
>> Python is able to import scitools, and scitools is recognized in my
>> editor (Pydev for Eclipse 1.4.4) as autocompletion works well.
>> However, when I try to run a test script:
>>
>> import scitools

scitools is a package (on disk, a directory).  When you import it as a
module, the module object is created by executing scitools.__init__.py.
  If that file is empty, so will be the module created from it.  Try
print(dir(scitools)) to see.

>> print "Sequence is: ",scitools.numpyutils.seq(0,10,1)
>>
>> I get an error: "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
>> 'numpyutils'"

In fact, I suspect scitools has no attributes other that the default
module attributes.

>> I assume that installation of scitools ( version 0.4 using the windows
>> installer) was succesful as scitools is added to my python libs: D:
>> \Programs\python_enthought2.5.2001\Lib\site-packages\scitools

You can always check the scitools directory to see that it has the
contents you expect.  In particular, you can look at its __init__.py
file to see what it will have on import.

>> I added the path to scitools to my pthonpath and even added all three
>> modules to forced-builtins, but still I get the same error message.
>>
>> Could you please help me solving this problem?
>
> from scitools import numpyutils
> print 'Sequence is: ', numpyutils.seq(0,10,1)

I believe you could also do

import scitools.numpyutils
print "Sequence is: ",scitools.numpyutils.seq(0,10,1)

but it is usually more convenient to do the 'import from' so you do not
have to repeat the full dotted name sequence.

Terry Jan Reedy