Python AppStore / Marketplace

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Mar 27 00:17:13 EDT 2009

Marcel Luethi <marcel.luethi at gmail.com> writes:

> Now I'm standing here, having this great idea for a brand new rocking
> app...
> But where do I start? I want it to be multi-platform (Linux, Mac OS X,
> Windows). It should be easy to install and upgrade. It should be self-
> contained, independent of an already installed Python. And of course -
> the world should be able to find it!
[...]
> Using my iPhone I suddenly realize how easy it is to find applications
> in Apple's AppStore. How easy and fast it is to install or de-install
> an app. My iPhone even checks in the background if there is an upgrade
> which could be installed painlessly.
[...]
> Unfortunately there's nothing like this in the Python world...

Sure there is: it's called "The Internet".

It's just that it supports more platforms (not just the iPhone), and
it's been growing for the past 30+ years (whereas the iPhone app-store
has been growing for..., what, a single year?).

What do you think the iPhone app-store will look like 30 years from
now, with 3 decades' worth of apps and 23 different iPhone models to
support? Actually, since we're just talking about a
distribution-system for apps written in Python (as if users care what
tools the app-developers used to develop their apps?), I'd be content
to hear your projection for a mere 18 years out (the amount of time
for which Python apps have been in production), or even 10 years
(which takes us back to Python 1.5).

:)

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).