c.l.py dead, news at 11 (was Re: Mangle function name with decorator?)

Albert Hopkins marduk at letterboxes.org
Fri Mar 27 15:27:04 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:47 -0700, Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.2787.1238174158.11746.python-list at python.org>,
> andrew cooke <andrew at acooke.org> wrote:
> >Aahz wrote:
> >>
> >> Excuse me?  What decline of this newsgroup?
> >
> >Hmmm.  It's hard to respond to this without implicitly criticising others
> >here, which wasn't my point at all.  But my personal impression is that
> >over the years various people who used to post here now stay pretty firmly
> >in the dev group, while others seem to have disappeared more or less
> >completely <wink>.
>
> Well, yes, but that's simply the nature of online fora (I originally
> wrote "nature of Usenet", but I think it's more general than that).  From
> my POV, if you're going to call it a "decline", you need to provide more
> evidence than some people leaving and others arriving.  I think that the
> sheer volume and quality of posts to c.l.py is evidence that c.l.py is
> not declining.

I agree. If the argument is simply that some devs no longer hang here
but do on -dev than that's not declining to me, especially as the amount
of traffic on -dev increases.  That's ordinary.  Same for people coming
and going.

For me declining means the rate of (non-spam) posts is steadily dropping
over time.

If you look at http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/ it doesn't
make it clear that there is any sort of decline.

1999-04: 1708
1999-05: 2204
1999-06: 2390
1999-07: 2387