how do you prevent distutils from downloading and building packages without consent?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at
Sat Mar 28 02:32:20 CET 2009

En Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:34:58 -0300, John Machin <sjmachin at>
> On Mar 26, 9:59 pm, lkcl <luke.leigh... at> wrote:

>> a number of people using pyjamas are not only encountering
>> difficulties with endeavouring to download and install
>> "setuptools" but also they are ... the best word to use is
>> unfortunately "offended" - by the fact that distutils, in its default
>> configuration, downloads and even _compiles_ its dependencies -
>> *without consent*.
> Whatever is happening, don't blame distutils -- it's absolutely
> nothing to do with distutils. *You* are using a that calls
> setuptools, which is a quite different distribution method. Have you
> read the setuptools documentation? Didn't you *test* your
> before making it available to the world?

(Ouch, I didn't notice your earlier reply when I posted mostly the same
thing, sorry!)

Gabriel Genellina