to get name of file opened

Dave Angel davea at dejaviewphoto.com
Sat Mar 28 10:51:38 EDT 2009

First question is why you need os.open(), and not the open() function.
I'll guess that you need some of the access modes (e.g. for file
sharing) that you get from the low level functions.  So assuming that:

I don't believe there's any way to use a fd ("file descriptor") to
retrieve the file name that was perhaps passed to open.  There are ways
to spelunk inside Windows, but they're not advisable. And I don't know
what Unix might offer there.

So by the time fdopen() is invoked, the name is already gone.

Here's what I'd do.  Create your own open function that has the
parameters of os.open(), but that will return an object derived from the
file object.  Your derived object can have its own filename, but close()
will know what to do.

Alternatively, you could encapsulate the line you showed, and just zap
the name attribute of the existing file object.right when it's being
returned by fdopen()