How complex is complex?

james at biosci.utexas.edu james at biosci.utexas.edu
Sat Mar 28 14:44:53 EDT 2009

this is hardly a fair reply to a fair question. the question of time,
space, or algorithmic complexity comes up all the time in the choice
of which algorithm or data structure is best suited to attack a problem.

donald knuth's anaylses of the computational complexity of algorithms
has provided us with the tools to answer how complex an algorithm is
and to compare its complexity to another algorithm. whoever wants to
deal with issues of complexity might want to start there.

knowing the complexity of an algorithm provides a starting point for
answering whether the level of complexity the algorithm adds to a
program makes it acceptable for use or not, or whether using it will
be ok to run against small datasets but not against large; or even
whether another attack on the problem to be solved should be considered.

i dare say, the question "what level of complexity is acceptable" is a
fair question, and the possible answers to choose from is the
bread-and-butter of computer sciences.

again, for those who want to get a handle on the issue, start with
donald knuth's work or introductory texts that build on his work.

-james