to get name of file opened

Dave Angel davea at dejaviewphoto.com
Sat Mar 28 17:49:09 EDT 2009

I doubt if there'd be any efficiency difference between the two
approaches.  You'll see a much bigger difference by switching from 't'
to 'b'.  Both the functions are native code in Python 2.6.

I withdraw my two previous suggestions.  As you said, the 'name'
attribute is read-only (and documented as such).  And there doesn't seem
to be any documented constructor for a file object to make deriving from
it feasible.  So while there's undoubtedly a 'magic' way to do it, I
would no longer suggest it.

If you need the low level call, or if you measure some performance
difference for your application, then here's what I'd suggest for the
problem.

Create a class with a dictionary to hold those names, keyed by an Open
class object, and each time you call os.open(), add to the list.  Then
create a method/function called getfilename() that looks up the name for
a given file object. If the file object was created by  builtin-open(),
just return the name attrribute.  But if the name is "<fdopen>" then
consult your dictionary.

The catch to this approach is that you will be hanging onto these
objects, so they won't be garbage collected unless you remove it from
this list when you close.

I've heard of something called weak-references, but have no experience
with them.  It could solve the gc problem.

Otherwise, you could create what Python docs call a "file like" object.
That's a class with all (or carefully chosen subset  of) the methods and
behavior of a  builtin file object, but with additional  methods (and
perhaps a constructor) that solve your needs.  You wouldn't do this for
efficiency, but might for flexibility of  modes.