c.l.py dead, news at 11 (was Re: Mangle function name with decorator?)

Sun Mar 29 01:23:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:57:41 -0700, Aaron Brady wrote:

> I see how c-l-py doesn't represent the full interests of Python,

Python is a *programming language*. It doesn't have interests. It just
sits there, a bunch of bits on a disk, waiting to be used. *People* have
interests, and Python is a means to an end.

> although I can't attest to whether it used to.  Naturally, among any
> person or people, conflicts arise, dilemmas arise, and c-l-py vets
> don't solve them in the same manner, or with the same results, that
> dev vets do.

What makes you think that only "vets" are capable of solving issues that
arises? I have news for you: they're just people too. They put their
trousers on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

Somebody can be a vet with 15 years experience, and still be an immature,
foolish jerk, or a grumpy old-curmudgeon. Somebody else might have just
started using the language a week ago, and yet have excellent conflict-
resolution skills. Anyone who has been on Usenet long enough to recognise
other posters will almost certainly be able to think of examples of each.

> The long term direction of this is dissent, struggle, and mutiny.

Don't forget social unrest, rioting in the streets, and the eventual
break-down of civilization as we know it. Don't worry, I'm prepared for
the invariable fallout when Python 3.1 comes out: I have a year's supply
of tinned food in the basement, and enough guns and ammo to fight off the
Chinese Army for a month.

> Logically, one of the c-l-py posters, not necessarily the
> vets, will fork the source, it will become popular, and Pythoneers
> will no longer be able to cut-and-paste source to share.

Oh noes!!! Python will be just like nearly every other language!!!

Including Python. There are already at least thirteen implementations
(forks) of Python (although some of these are defunct or unmaintained):

CPython
Jython
IronPython
Python for .NET
CLPython
PyPy
Unladen Swallow
Python for S60
PyVM
Vyper
RPython
Stackless Python
CapPython

Diversity in software is *good*, not a bad thing. If Guido gets hit by a
bus, we'll be sad, but the long term availability of Python will be in no
way endangered.

As for being "able to cut-and-paste source to share", syntax and built-in
functions are a small part of what makes Python great. The libraries are
just as important, and much Python source code can't be just cut-and-
pasted. You also need to install the appropriate modules, and sometimes
be running on the appropriate operating system.

Don't worry kiddies, rumours of Python's death are greatly exaggerated.

--
Steven