Python AppStore / Marketplace

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Sun Mar 29 17:59:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:16:01 -0700, Daniel Fetchinson
<fetchinson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> How will your solution be different from distutils, setuptools, pip,
> zc.buildout and a couple other similar packages I don't recall now?

For a start.. it doesn't replace those.. it drives them...

> Have you considered joining one of these efforts in order to not
> fragment the "packaging and distribution" arena?

They seem pretty comprehensive and well developed as they are. I am not
sure what I could do to improve the under-the-hood functionality at this
point in time.

My GUI just drives their back end code..

> Have you evaluated these solutions in detail and have found that they
> are not appropriate for your needs?

Yes. They don't have a GUI.

If yes, what is the most problematic features of these
> already existing solutions that you don't like?

Not having a GUI is the biggest problem. Since I am swapping
languages (Python/Perl/+1 more) in any given day I'm just after
something that is "simple". I can never remember the commandlines..

Regards

David