Python AppStore / Marketplace

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 29 18:51:57 EDT 2009

>> How will your solution be different from distutils, setuptools, pip,
>> zc.buildout and a couple other similar packages I don't recall now?
>
> For a start.. it doesn't replace those.. it drives them...
>
>> Have you considered joining one of these efforts in order to not
>> fragment the "packaging and distribution" arena?
>
> They seem pretty comprehensive and well developed as they are. I am not
> sure what I could do to improve the under-the-hood functionality at this
> point in time.
>
> My GUI just drives their back end code..
>
>> Have you evaluated these solutions in detail and have found that they
>> are not appropriate for your needs?
>
> Yes. They don't have a GUI.
>
> If yes, what is the most problematic features of these
>> already existing solutions that you don't like?
>
> Not having a GUI is the biggest problem. Since I am swapping
> languages (Python/Perl/+1 more) in any given day I'm just after
> something that is "simple". I can never remember the commandlines..

Okay, I see your point. You might find it useful to go through the
following [1] thread on python-dev that talks about various packaging
and distribution options. Tarek Ziade led a discussion on this topic
at pycon, you might find that helpful too [2] and he also conducted a
survey on packaging [3].

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087590.html
[2] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087834.html
[3] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2009-March/087656.html