Re. suid/sudo in python

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Mon Mar 30 12:41:38 EDT 2009

Rustom Mody wrote:
<cut>
I don't think this is necessary a python problem but a generic, SUID
scripts considered dangerous, problem.

The essence of your program is that you only want information, that is
great! Since that makes it all a bit simpler.

How about writing a cronjob that outputs the require information into a
file and then write a separate program that reads the output and
displays it on the web site when requested?

If you are particular adventurous, your cronjob could check if a certain
file exists first and then execute the (CPU intensive) script, this is
especially handy when you expect changes every second or so. I wouldn't
write that check for file existence in Python though, you don't want to
fire up an interpreter every second. But a simple sh script will do only
calling python if it really needs too (perhaps also putting it on an
appropriate nice level).

hth

--
mph