Unix programmers and Idle

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Mon Mar 30 21:21:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:11:10PM -0500, Dave Angel wrote:
> I don't know what Idle has to do with it.  sys.args contains the command
> line arguments used to start a script.
>
> Dale Amon wrote:
>> I wonder if someone could point me at documentation on how to debug
>> some of the standard Unix type things
>> in Idle. I cannot seem to figure out how to set my
>> argument line for the program I am debugging in an Idle
>> window. for example:
>>
>> 	vlmdeckcheck.py --strict --debug file.dat
>>
>> There must be a way to tell it what the command line args
>> are for the test run but I can't find it so far.

The line above represent what I want to emulate within idle.
If you run idle, select File->Open; then select the program name
as above to open; select Debug->Debugger; then start the program
with F5... which is lovely but I cannot find a way to tell idle
what the args are.

idle is really nice but I am stuck doing my debugging in pdb
because of this.