ANN: Dao, the official 1.0 version is released

Limin Fu phoolimin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:34:23 EST 2009

> i agree it's not clear how this is related to python (although i can see
> the influence), but it does look like a nice language.

thanks.

> one thing i was surprised to find missing was that the discussion of types
> doesn't include classes (the discussion of macros doesn't include

Actually the documentation about types does not mean to explain the types in
a systematic way. It just tries to explain how to practically use them
implicitly and explicitly, and to point out where one should pay attention.
Classes surely should be discussed, but it didn't come into my mind when I
prepared the documentation. It will be discussed when I update the document.

> types,
> but that is more understandable).  i am wondering if you have hidden
> problems related to co and contra variance of types (like in java
> generics).

I have paid attention to the variance of types in some situations, but I am
not very sure if it is without problems. Until now, I still feel there are
still many things to be improved in the typing system. It would not be
surprising if there are hidden problems regarding this.

> also, why is "@" needed as well as yield?  in python, the presence of
> yield makes "@" implicit (i think).

You are right. I will change this. Thank you for pointing out this.

I am glad that, every time I announced the language in the python mailing
list, I received good comments and suggestions more often than in other
mailing lists and groups, that's why python mailing list is one of the first
places coming into my mind when I plan for an announcement of Dao;)

--
Limin Fu

http://www.daovm.net