Can python (CPython) and IPython coexist normally on the same computer ?

scoop scoop at invalid.gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:57:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:20:09 -0700 (PDT), John Machin
<sjmachin at lexicon.net> wrote:

>Do you mean this IPython:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPython
>or do you mean Iron Python:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IronPython
>
>IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
>"differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
>rather meaningless questions.
>
>Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
>whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
>written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
>aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
>this is not available yet.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know Ipython existed, so I (rather foolishly)
abbreviated Iron Python into IPython.
So generally, yes, my questions were aimed at Iron python. So what
you're saying is there are still some complications about using numpy
and matplotlib in Iron ?

scoop