cross compile Python to Linux-ARM

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Fri Mar 20 23:26:29 EDT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, jefm wrote:

> Hi,
> We are looking to use Python on an embedded Linux ARM system.
> What I gather from googling the subject is that it is not that
> straight forward (a fair amount of patching & hacking).
> Nobody out there that has done it claims it is easy, which makes me
> worried.

>From my ocassional googling, I was quite convinced that ARM (and
StrongARM) were well supported targets. Besides Debian, already mentioned
by OPs, you can also try Familiar Linux Distribution, aimed at
StrongARM-based devices:

http://www.handhelds.org/geeklog/index.php

They have a wiki, maybe you can find some pointers there:

http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/BuildSystem?action=highlight&value=crosscompile

http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/FamiliarUnderQemu?action=highlight&value=crosscompile

> (or is it safer to wait for industrial spec Intel Atom boards to avoid
> the cross compilation altogether ?

Depends. If you know for sure when they are going to be here and if they
will be price-performance-competitive.

Regards
Tomasz Rola