Is python worth learning as a second language?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Mar 21 09:42:48 EDT 2009

In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.0903210534130.6380 at tau.ceti.pl>,
Tomasz Rola  <rtomek at ceti.com.pl> wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Mar 2009, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> Taking C++ and turning it into a VM model does not exactly strike me
>> as particularly good use of resources.
>
>It doesn't strike me either. But resources are not the only dimension of
>judging the language, you know.

You misunderstand me: I was talking about the resources (people and
money) used to create Java.

>But, as I said, Java had some weight in the past (and some promises have
>been made about its future and not kept). I felt that dismissing it "after
>six minutes" might have been a little bit unfair. You should have done it
>after a week.
>
>:-).

Java is yet another language with heavy static typing and an
object-oriented focus.  What should have caused me to waste more time
before dismissing it?

"Programming language design is not a rational science. Most reasoning
about it is at best rationalization of gut feelings, and at worst plain
wrong."  --GvR, python-ideas, 2009-3-1