Introducing Python to others

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 22:10:34 EDT 2009

On Mar 26, 6:35 am, "Paddy O'Loughlin" <patrick.olough... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> As our resident python advocate, I've been asked by my team leader to
> give a bit of a presentation as an introduction to python to the rest
> of our department.
> It'll be less than an hour, with time for taking questions at the end.
>
> There's not going to be a whole lot of structure to it. First, I'm
> going to open up a python terminal and show them how the interpreter
> works and a few basic syntax things and then a file .py files (got to
> show them that python's indenting structure is not something to be
> afraid of :P). I think I'll mostly show things in the order that they
> appear in the python tutorial (http://docs.python.org/tutorial/).

Shameless plug:

Show them the Python tutorial in a regular browser window ... and then
switch tab to one in which you have the same tutorial loaded from
Crunchy (http://code.google.code/p/crunchy) and go through it
(interpreter and all) right from the browser's window.  I've had some
really positive reactions from long-term Pythonistas when I did that
one-on-one two years ago.

Then perhaps use IPython as a terminal window and show them other cool
stuff that people have mentioned.

André