Help! Can't get program to run.

seanm.py at gmail.com seanm.py at gmail.com
Sat May 2 16:24:00 EDT 2009

On May 1, 6:10 pm, Ned Deily <n... at acm.org> wrote:
> In article <7618rjF1a3t8... at mid.uni-berlin.de>,
>  "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>

> > seanm... at gmail.com schrieb:
> > > I think this is maybe the most basic problem possible, but I can't get
> > > even the most basic Python to run on OS X using Terminal or IDLE. I
> > > used the IDLE editor to create a file with one line of code
>
> > > print 'text string'
>
> > > and I saved the file as module1.py. When using terminal I entered
> > > "python" to load the interpreter or whatever and then tried
>
> > > python module1.py
>
> > > but I got an error message. I've tried using the file path instead of
> > > module1.py and that didn't work either. I've tried moving the file to
> > > different places, my desktop, hard drive, etc., and none of that
> > > worked either. In IDLE I tried similar things and only got error
> > > messages there too.
>
> > > Needless to say this is a frustrating start to learning this langauge.
> > > I'd really appreciate any help getting this to work, so I can move on
> > > the actual language. Thanks so much.
>
> > It would have helped if you had given us the *actual* error-message.
> >  From what little information you give, it appears as if you do
> > something very basic wrong - instead of doing
> > $ python
> >  >>> python mymodule.py
> > (where $ is the shell/terminal and >>> the python-prompt)
> > you either do
> > $ python
> >  >>> print "hello"
> > or
> > $ python mymodule.py
> > to execute mymodule directly.
>
> And from within OS X IDLE itself, if you create or open the file
> mymodule.py, it will be in a separate window and, as long as that window
> is selected, you can run the file directly within IDLE by selecting "Run
> Module" from the "Run" menu.   So, no need to use the Terminal if you
> don't want to.
>
> --
>  Ned Deily,
>  n... at acm.org

Thank you for both for the help. I still cannot get the program to run
though. Below I've copied my commands and the error messages for you
(in IDLE then Terminal):

IDLE 2.6.2
>>> python module1.py
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

and

sean-marimpietris-computer:~ seanmarimpietri$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
>>> python module1.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python module1.py
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.