Most Basic Question Ever - please help

seanm.py at gmail.com seanm.py at gmail.com
Sat May 2 16:36:00 EDT 2009

I am going to try posting here again with more detail to see if I can
finally get my first program to work.

I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11. I opened a new window
in IDLE to create a file. The file had only one line of code and was
saved as module1.py. I saved it to Macintosh HD. The one line of code
in the file is copied below:

print 'Hello module world!'

I closed the file and tried to run it in IDLE and Terminal, but I have
had no success. I'll paste my commands and the error messages below
(for IDLE, then Terminal). Any help would be very much appreciated. I
feel like the marathon just started and I've fallen flat on my face.
Thanks.

IDLE 2.6.2
>>> python module1.py
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

sean-m-computer:~ seanm$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
>>> python module1.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python module1.py
                 ^