Need Help with str.replace & tuples

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat May 2 18:22:34 EDT 2009

mikefromvt:
> I am very very unfamiliar with Python and need to update a Python
> script.  What I need to do is to replace three variables (already
> defined in the script) within a string.  The present script correctly
> replaces two of the three variables.  I am unable to add a third
> variable.  Specifically, I would like to add
>
> "panoble",panoble
> to the following code:
> idxItemStr+=string.replace(string.replace
(idxItemTplStr,"stylenumber",stylenumber),"formalname",formalname)

This isn't going to win some contest of coding style quality, but you
may try this (for other people: I have not added any new variable name
on purpose):

idxItemStr += idxItemTplStr.replace("stylenumber",
              stylenumber).replace("formalname",
              formalname).replace("panoble", panoble)

Note that in Python names are usually written like this:
idx_item_tpl
Instead of:
idxItemTplStr

Bye,