Parsing text

iainemsley iainemsley at googlemail.com
Wed May 6 14:32:28 EDT 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to write a fairly basic text parser to split up scenes and
acts in plays to put them into XML. I've managed to get the text split
into the blocks of scenes and acts and returned correctly but I'm
trying to refine this and get the relevant scene number when the split
is made but I keep getting an NoneType error trying to read the block
inside the for loop and nothing is being returned. I'd be grateful for
some suggestions as to how to get this working.

for scene in text.split('Scene'):
    num = re.compile("^\s\[0-9, i{1,4}, v]", re.I)
    textNum = num.match(scene)
    if textNum:
        print textNum
    else: