What would YOU like to see in a txt to html converter?

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Thu May 7 14:13:27 EDT 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> As you might have mentioned I'm just working on a txt to html converter
>> called "thc". This project is intended for me to learn Python and now pyQT4
>> to which I changed a few days ago (started with Tkinter).
>>
>> I have implemented the following features so far:
>>
>> - Giving a title for the html
>> - Choose whether it's Transitional or Strict Doctype
>
> Don't give this choice. What benefit does this give the user?
>
>> - Select a background color
>> - Show the converted file with the standard browser
>
> That should probably be valid [X]HTML and be done with it.
>
>> - Working on a font size slider
>
> This should be a browser feature, not a page feature. Use the default
> sizes of the HTML elements, and let the UA override those defaults as
> the user sees fit ot configure it.
>
> If you think that there should be a font size slider, then file a
> feature request at the bug tracker of your favourite browser.
>
>> I don't really know if this is of any use for anybody but it's just a fun
>> project by a beginner :-)
>>
>> Now I'd like to know what kind of features you'd like to see in version 0.3
>> of thc!?
>>

> You should probably convert the text to UTF-8 and make sure to declare
> that with a meta tag.
>
> You might want to look at markdown for a nice way to have hyperlink support.
>
> Lists conversion, like these:
> * item one
> * item two
> * item three
>
> 1. item one
> 2. item two
> 3. item three

================================
Actually I would like to see a good HTML to txt or odt converter.
Perhaps someone you know has the time and inclination to make one.
In Unix, grep is a fantastic search tool.  Since HTML's today seem to be
one page one file, trying to search a "help collection" for a phrase is
useless in the practical sense.

I mean no offense to your effort. There are many who wish a good version
of such a converter.  It's just that I personally wish HTMLs used for
Help and Documentation were banned from the universe. To me, a well
written, easily understood, no frills, fully grep'able text file that
covers the subject well is a truly fantastic thing to be well cherished.

Steve