Code works fine except...

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:00:20 EDT 2009

On May 7, 8:32 pm, Ross <ross.j... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've managed to solve the problem. If you go in
> order, the discrepancy between the player with the
> least amount of byes and the greatest amount of byes
> is only 1.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's not the case for all
values.  For example, with 7 players and only 1 or 2 courts, there
will be weeks in the middle where the bye-difference is 2.

This behavior is present in both your shuffle and the standard one in
Wikipedia.

Ultimately, as it pertains to your physical tennis scheduling with
actual courts and actual players, you may never encounter the
imbalance.  But as a math problem, it's still not solved.  (Someone
may have solved it or proved it insoluble, but obviously I am not
aware of such a proof, because otherwise I would have presented it
already.)

John