Complete frustration

Fri May 8 18:37:09 EDT 2009

hellcats wrote:
> On May 8, 4:18 pm, Emile van Sebille <em... at fenx.com> wrote:
>> On 5/8/2009 1:45 PM hellcats said...> I have Python2.5 installed on Windows XP. Whenever I double click on a
>>> something.pyw file, IDLE launches and opens something.pyw in the
>>> editor. I would prefer to actually *RUN* the program, not edit it. If
>>> I want to edit it then I'll choose the "Edit with IDLE" context menu.
>>> So I then have to press F5 to get the program to execute. Now I have
>>> my program's windows along with two IDLE windows cluttering my screen
>>> and task bar. WHAT IS GOING ON? I've tried changing the file
>>> association to python.exe, and that works, but just ONCE (even if I
>>> choose "always use the slected program to launch this kind of file").
>>> IDLE may be great and all, but I fricken' don't want to see it every
>>> time I just want to run a python program!!!!!
>>> --
>> This is a windows question -- you'll need to reassign the default
>> association of PYW files.  Look in explorer|tools|folder options.
>>
>> Emile
>
> I know that. I've tried reassigning it from pythonw.exe to python.exe,
> and like I said, it will work for one invocation. But it seems to
> revert back the next time I double click. But also, what is wrong with
> it being pythonw.exe? Why does pythonw.exe open up IDLE?

Try opening up a command window, and determine the current associations.
If I do this on mine:
     C:\Projects> assoc .pyw
     .pyw=Python.NoConFile

     C:\Projects> ftype Python.NoConFile
     Python.NoConFile="C:\Python31\pythonw.exe" "%1" %*

It is possible you installed something that switched those settings.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org