Complete frustration

hellcats ericgparker at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:20:52 EDT 2009

On May 8, 5:36 pm, Emile van Sebille <em... at fenx.com> wrote:
> On 5/8/2009 3:08 PM hellcats said...
>
> > On May 8, 4:18 pm, Emile van Sebille <em... at fenx.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >> This is a windows question -- you'll need to reassign the default
> >> association of PYW files.  Look in explorer|tools|folder options.
>
> >> Emile
>
> > I know that. I've tried reassigning it from pythonw.exe to python.exe,
> > and like I said, it will work for one invocation. But it seems to
> > revert back the next time I double click. But also, what is wrong with
> > it being pythonw.exe? Why does pythonw.exe open up IDLE?
>
> When you right click your source file, do you have an 'open with' python
> option?  Does that do the right thing?  If so, you're fighting your
> windows installation which is where you'll need to address this problem.
>
> You might try downloading and installing the activestate python
> distribution (assuming you're not already there).  That will likely set
> your windows registry appropriately.
>
> Emile

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I played with the registry a
little bit. It looks like I had Python2.6 installed at one point, so
maybe that corrupted things. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled
Python2.5 (but without Tk/Tcl) and now double clicking a .pyw runs the
program without IDLE or the MSDOS window showing up (as I had hoped).
So I am happy now. Thanks again.