I'm intrigued that Python has some functional constructions in the language.

Paul Rubin http
Fri May 8 21:36:41 EDT 2009

Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> writes:
> I can go on, but you get the idea.  Point is: functional programmint
> isn't "nothing but calling functions".

I would mainly describe functional programming as programming with the
pervasive use of higher order functions.  For example, loops in
functional programming can be implemented using recursion, but in
practice, one doesn't see actual explicit recursion in Haskell code
all that often.  Instead we see wide use of functions like map,
filter, and fold (a/k/a "reduce"), which can take the place of looping
constructs.

Python also has higher-order functions like that, but their use is
disfavored in certain circles.  With Python 3, there has actually been
movement towards removing them from the language.