MacPython 3.0.1 installation problem, no /usr/local/bin/python*

Raoul Gough bvdmyrby at jyxk16274849.net
Sat May 9 04:30:46 EDT 2009

I just installed MacPython 3.0.1 (woot!) but the installer didn't seem
to do an absolutely complete job. According to the ReadMe.txt, "The
installer puts [...] command-line tools in /usr/local/bin [...]". This
didn't happen - even after the install reported Success, there were no
python files or symlinks under /usr/local/bin.

Also, I'm guessing there should have been a symlink to the current
version under /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions, which
wasn't there either:

$ cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework
$ ls -l Python
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  23 May  9 08:34 Python -> Versions/Current/Python
$ ls -l Versions/Current
ls: Versions/Current: No such file or directory

So I fixed this all up as follows:

$ cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions
$ sudo ln -s 3.0 Current
$ cd /usr/local/bin
$ sudo ln -s $(find /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin -type f) .

So did something go wrong with the installer, or is it all supposed to
work somehow differently?

--
Raoul Gough.