Code - what could be done better?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Mon May 11 05:40:03 EDT 2009

Florian Wollenschein a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> here's the main code of thc, my txt to html converter. Since I'm a
> beginner it is far, far, faaaaaaar away from perfect or even good :-)
> What could be done better?

(snip code)

1/ decouple the text => html conversion part from your (or any other) GUI

2/ decouple the text => html conversion part from files handling (hint:
given your code, any object having a 'write' method should do - IOW, the
conversion code just a need an object with a "write(somestring)" method
as argument, eventually defaulting to sys.stdout.

3/ write tags in lowercase, and get rid from the 'bgcolor' attribute in

4/ or even better, use a templating system, to avoid hardcoding html in
your code

Also an FWIW, there are quite a few 'simple markup' text format
(textile, markdown, ReST, various wiki idioms etc). You may want to be
able to use them too.

My 2 cents.